Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Heavenly Red Quinoa Soup


So…it’s been a while folks! Life has been busy, busy. I’ve moved house and made some big changes within my business, which is all wonderful, though rather full on! Anyway – I’m back on board and excited to start blogging more regularly. I do believe I have my mojo back hehehe.

Here’s a great ‘comfort food’ recipe using my new obsession ~ red quinoa. It’s so amazing -  for vego’s and non-vego’s alike. It has a heartiness that really satisfies, and is super nutritious to boot.

Enjoy! :)

Heavenly Red Quinoa Soup

Ingredients
I      2 cups ‘chicken’ stock substitute – or enough to cover ingredients liberally
I      1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well
I      2 tablespoons olive oil
I      1 large onion, diced
I      4-5 cloves garlic, minced
I      1 stalks celery, diced
I      1 carrot, peeled, diced
I      1 can diced tomatoes with juices
I      1 can kidney beans
I      1 can corn kernels
I      1 cup frozen peas
I      A couple of handfuls of baby spinach
I      salt & freshly ground pepper

This recipe can be done 2 ways. If you have a slow cooker, begin preparing in the morning and allow the slow cooker to do its thing. Otherwise, simply make this as you would with any soup – in a large pot with a heavy base (so it doesn’t stick). Instructions below are for a slow cooker.

Preparation
1.    In a frying pan, heat olive oil and add onion. Fry until slightly brown, then add garlic.

2.    Meanwhile, if using stock powder, boil the water, then add to stock power in a jug and mix & set aside (if using fresh stock, heat on stove or in microwave).

3.    Add celery and carrot and fry for about 5 mins.

4.    Add the onion mix and all of the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker (except salt, which toughens beans if added early) and stir very well.

5.    Cook on high for 2 hours, then on low for 2-4 hours (or on low for 6 hrs). If using the automatic setting on the slow cooker, simply set the dial and let the cooker do its thing. Stir once in the middle of cooking, if you are around.

6.    When ready, stir in salt to taste, turn off cooker and let sit for 10-15 mins. Serve.


Please let me know in the comments below, if there’s anything in particular you’d like me to blog about, in relation to vego’ism.

I’ll be back soon with some more great recipes…

x

No comments:

Post a Comment