Friday, July 13, 2012

Some Vego basics & a Super Quick Vego Medley

My apologies for the long time between posts...as with all of us, things have been busy, busy! 

So...I've been on a bit of a culinary adventure of late. A couple of months back I decided to try to go Vegan for 6 months (to start with, hopefully!) to support my son in his journey, and to try to ramp up my health level a few notches  ;)  It's been a rocky journey, to say the least ~ somewhat successful, with a few deviations along the way, but more on that in another blog...

Firstly, I want to talk about some basics. I've been asked so many questions about what constitutes Vegetarian & Vegan etc, so thought I'd include a little clarification here. There is some contention about the term ‘Vegetarian’, but for the purposes of this blog (and in keeping with my experiences) I’m going with this ~ 
Vegetarian: Eats no meat, chicken, fish etc. and has a diet of foods derived from plants, (including grains, legumes etc.) with or without eggs, dairy products or honey. 
The contention is around eggs and/or dairy products, so the stricter definitions are:
                        'Pure' Vegetarian: eats no eggs or dairy.
                        Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: eats plant foods plus eggs and dairy products.
                        Lacto Vegetarian: eats plant foods and dairy products.
Vegan: Eats and uses no animal products whatsoever. This includes all dairy, eggs, honey and many breads. Furthermore, most Vegans won’t eat products or foods that have harmed animals in their production. For example, palm oil, which if not produced via sustainable sources, is usually sourced from third world countries, and is responsible for vast devastation to the forests and orangutans. (so many products that have vegetable oil in them use palm oil, so beware, even if you’re not Vego!). Find out more about palm oil
Vegans also don't use or wear animal products – eg: leather shoes.
Now that we’ve cleared that up…
I have to say, that after a great deal of resistance about the whole vegan thing (see my Introduction blog), I’ve been slowly getting more excited about it lately. Being such a ‘foodie’ makes it so hard to let go of some of the non-vegan delights that most of us love – namely cheese (ohhhh parmesan, where art thou?) - but slowly, slowly I’m changing my mind and also finding alternatives that kill my cravings. I’m not a big fan of ‘fake’ cheese and meat products, mostly because they are usually so soy-heavy and don’t taste fantastic. Though I have found a few tasty morsels of late that defy the norm (I’m creating a list, which I’ll share with you all soon).

So I’ve gotten back to basics. Meaning simple products, great vegies, yummy grains & pasta’s, and beautiful beans. Yes…I said beautiful beans ~ I’ve started compulsively collecting pretty beans ~ it’s beginning to get embarrassing…but I mean, just check out these beauties and tell me I’m crazy…


Beautiful Black Turtle Beans (such a great name!)

I'll be writing a bit more about the ‘mechanics’ of our overall diet and the reasoning behind our choices sometime soon (my son & I have similar, but different reasoning), but in the meantime I thought I’d share a very, very simple recipe that is an amazing snack, breakfast (with toast) or dinner (if accompanied by rice, pasta or quinoa). It’s so quick and full of goodness…simple yumminess at its best. And perfect when you too are busy, busy J

Super Quick Vego Medley


Ingredients ~ serves 2/3 for a snack (Or 1 if you have teenagers haha!) or 2 for a meal with rice/pasta 
      I      1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
      I      A couple of cups of chopped mushrooms
      I      1 small red onion or a few spring onions
      I      1 – 2 handfuls of pine nuts (to taste)
      I      1 – 3 cloves of garlic (optional, but highly recommended)
      I      A handful of chopped parsley
      I      2 tablespoons of good olive oil
      I      Salt/Pepper to taste
Just heat up your pan or wok on high, add oil and wait for about 30 seconds. Add all the other ingredients and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms and the onions have a bit of colour, then serve. Told you it was simple, didn't I? 

You can make it a bit 'fancier' by adding any or all of the following: grated lemon rind/ a handful of spinach/ some smoked paprika (oh, smoked paprika is heavenly).

This snack is so full of goodness, and will keep you going for hours…enjoy!

And finally ~ I'm looking for some input...

What kind of recipes would you like to see in this blog in the future? Any particular topics you'd like me to explore? Just let me know in the comments section below. And don't forget to sign up for email notifications for when I post.


And keep your eye out for my businesses *Birthday Celebrations*, coming soon! 





1 comment: